Monday 25 October 2010

Ampersand Quilters

Many, many weeks ago (possibly even months ago) I saw an advert for a quilting group in our area. It took me another couple of weeks to even get round to e-mailing the lady who'd placed the ad, and to find out more details.

As it turns out the lady in question, Shirley, runs two groups of twenty people per month. One is for beginners and one is for a more advanced set. Surprisingly enough, both meetings are in our village hall (so no excuse really is there?) Even though I'm currently on my 3rd quilt, I definitely class myself as a beginner as I don't really know what I'm doing and would love any advice I can get.


Therefore, I decided to go to the beginners group which was on Saturday. I wasn't really sure what to expect, I knew it started at 10am and went through until 4pm but I couldn't imagine what we could possibly do for 6 hours. How foolish was I? It ended up being one of the best Saturdays I've had in a while.


Each month, Shirley shows us how to make a 12 inch patchwork block. In theory, at the end of each year you could sew all of your 12 sample blocks together to make a great big sampler quilt. Cool huh? This one is made from 4 units called log cabin and you can arrange them in different patterns like Barn Raising, Straight Farrow, Zig-zag or Sunshine and Shadow.

I can't remember which pattern it was that I chose to sew mine together as, but I've included some illustrator versions to show some of the other options I could have done. It's all based on light versus dark so you can create stripes or shapes across the quilt. These are just the 4 units sewn together:


and then these are what the patterns could turn into if you were making a quilt:


Apart from the constant guilt feeling that I had (and an excited for being naughty feeling) for leaving my girls at home with their dad, I really, really enjoyed it. My husband thinks I'm a little odd!

No comments:

Post a Comment